Best Baitcasting Rods Under 100: Looking for a baitcasting rod that won’t flush your savings? We have reviewed some of the top affordable baitcasting rods on the market to find you the Best Baitcasting Rod Under 100.
If you are in a hurry: KastKing Royale Select is the Best Baitcasting Rod Under 100 as per our reviews.
- SENSITIVE & STRONG KastKing KastFlex fishing rod blanks. All...
- FUJI FISHING LINE GUIDES for superior casting distance, and...
- ONE PIECE bass technique lengths & actions are designed with...
Last update on 2023-01-26 / Paid links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Now, let us move to our in-depth reviews.
Best Baitcasting Rods Under 100 Dollars
Here is our pick of the 9 Best Baitcasting Rods Under $100.
- KastKing Royale Select Baitcasting Rod
- UglyStik GX2 Casting Rod
- Abu Garcia Vengeance Casting Rod
- Berkley Cherrywood HD Casting Rod
- Shimano Clarus Baitcasting Rod
- St Croix Triumph Casting Rod
- UglyStik Elite Casting Rod
- Ardent Tournament Pro Series Rods
- Daiwa Laguna Casting Rod
KastKing Royale Select Baitcasting Rod
Kastking has been a giant in the fishing industry for decades now. Its fishing rods serve both newbies and experienced anglers quite well. So it is natural that its range of Royale Select Baitcasting Rods keeps anglers of all skill levels in mind.
These rods are built with the Toray 24-ton carbon matrix. It makes the rods strong, sensitive, and powerful. The Fuji O-ring line guides allow you to cast long distances with accuracy.
You can use these rods for all fishing techniques be it, flipping, jigging, or swimbaits.
We tested the 1pc medium heavy rod paired with an 8.1:1 baitcasting reel and 14lb clear monofilament test line. We loved the lightweight feel and sensitivity. The rod did have enough backbone to catch even large pike and bass with ease.
- Fuji O-ring guides ensure smooth casting with distance and accuracy.
- The Power Transition System smoothly transitions power through the rod.
- Specialized wraps keep the power flowing from the tip to the handle.
- The overall look is very sleek and stylish.
- Lightweight, easy to handle, comfortable grip.
- The process to claim the warranty might be a bit challenging.
- Some users have reported issues regarding the quality of eyelets.
KastKing is known to deliver the amazing quality that they promise. So go for the Royale Select Baitcasting rod if you want a quality rod at a surprisingly low price.
UglyStik GX2 Casting Rod
The UglyStik GX2 baitcasting rods aren’t just famous for their modern design. They offer a great balance between power and sensitivity.
These rods are built with a mix of graphite and fiberglass to make them strong, sensitive, and lightweight. They are quite sleek and slender and come in sizes from 5’6″ to 7’6″.
UglyStik GX2 has a slightly bigger handle than the other rods. But it is helpful in increasing casting distance. EVA grips help in maintaining a steady hold on the rod.
We took out the 6’6” foot, medium-heavy rod for kayak fishing in saltwater. The 10-25 lbs range is pretty good and makes the rod quite versatile. We paired it with a Bass Pro Shops saltwater reel and a 50 lb braided line with a 12 lb fluorocarbon leader.
The casting performance from the kayak is very good. The rod feels very sensitive at the tip. Yet it is stiff enough to handle fluke, black sea bass, stripers, and blues. The rod is surprisingly good with the fish that fight. We caught quite a few fish in the 2-15 lbs. range.
- Suitable for new as well as experienced anglers.
- Very durable, strong, and sensitive to its very core.
- Ensures a longer casting distance with accuracy.
- Better reel seat than many other rods on the market.
- The 2 pc. makes storing and transporting easy.
- Not as lightweight as some other rods on the market.
- Might snap and break if you are not careful.
UglyStik GX2 rods are suitable for all levels of anglers. But they are especially great if you are just starting out. The rod feels very well-balanced in hand which makes it easy to use for beginners. It is so sensitive that you will never have to worry about not feeling any bites or nibbles.
Abu Garcia Vengeance Casting Rod
Abu Garcia Vengeance is very popular for its amazing build quality and performance. It comes in sizes from 6’6″ to 7’6″.
The rod is built with strong 24-ton graphite. It makes the rod durable, lightweight, and sensitive. The stainless steel guides with Titanium oxide inserts allow for smooth casting and never wear down the line. The Texas-rigged hook keeper helps protect the line guides from getting bent.
We tested the medium-heavy 7′ rod for largemouth bass and smallmouth bass. We paired it with a Shimano Casitas 150 baitcaster. It is a great setup for bass fishing.
We feel the rod is quite sensitive. There is hardly any flex and the rod has enough backbone to set the hook. First cast and we hooked up to a 4lb largemouth bass! We caught probably 20 bass fish with it by the end of the day.
- Smooth eyelets with zero drag allow you to cast long distances.
- The rod has plenty of backbone to fight even the vigorous fish.
- Built-in hook keeper to hold the lures while storing the rod.
- High-density EVA handles make the rod comfortable.
- There have been some complaints about the tip breaking off.
- Heavy to hold in your hand for long periods of time.
Abu Garcia Vengeance is a high-quality, sensitive baitcasting rod that doesn’t cost a lot. But as cool as the name sounds, this rod’s features are even cooler.
With its up-to-date and seamless look, this rod will make you a hero amongst your fishing buddies.
Berkley Cherrywood HD Casting Rod
Berkley’s dedication to offering quality gear at a reasonable price makes its rods stand out.
This rod comes in sizes from 5’6″ to 7’0″. The hybrid design of this rod makes it lightweight and sensitive. The cork handle ensures a comfortable grip on the rod.
To test the rod, we took out the 7′ medium-heavy rod to a clear water lake for bass fishing. We paired the rod with the Abu Garcia Black Max Low Profile Reel and a clear monofilament line. The rod is so sensitive it allowed us to feel even the lightest bites. We caught several largemouth bass up to 4 lbs from the shore.
Next, we wanted to test it for catfish fishing in our local river. The river was slightly murky and we were fishing from a boat.
So we paired it with the Abu Garcia C3 Catfish Special Round baitcasting reel and heavy 30 lb test braided line. We feel the rod is perfect for casting even heavy baits. We caught several large catfish using this rod.
- The hybrid design makes the rod lightweight and sensitive at the same time.
- 55% lighter than many other baitcasting rods out there.
- Durable rod with a comfortable grip.
- Great quality for a low price.
- The rod tip is a bit heavier than average.
- The butt end of the rod may be shorter than other rods.
Berkley’s Cherrywood HD Casting Rod may be its Best Baitcasting Rod under 100. Along with its many features, it is one of the most affordable baitcasting rods on the market.
It is ideal for freshwater fishing in rivers, lakes, and streams. We suggest you pair it with a high-gear ratio reel and heavy braided line to get the most out of it. It can handle a variety of lures, especially large crankbaits, swimbaits, and spinnerbaits.
Shimano Clarus Baitcasting Rod
We’ve all heard tales of Shimano’s immaculate fishing gear. So you can expect Shimano Clarus Casting Rods to be extraordinary as well.
The rods are built using high-modulus graphite. It makes the rods lightweight, strong, and sensitive at the same time. The Shimano custom reel seat and the titanium oxide guides enhance the durability of the rod. The G Alpha Grip Surface Technology ensures a great grip even when fishing in the rain.
We tested the 7 ft medium-heavy rod. It is very versatile as you can use it for jigging, spinner bait, or anything in between. We took it out to a river for smallmouth bass fishing. The water was clear to slightly cloudy so we paired it with an Abu Garcia Revo SX reel and a 15 lb test fluorocarbon line.
The fast action makes it easy to cast. One can feel even the slightest of bites. Overall we had a great day on the water and caught quite a few smallmouth bass weighing up to 3 lbs.
- Amazing design, construction, and durability.
- Strong and steady grip thanks to the G Alpha Grip Surface Technology.
- Shimano custom reel seats make a huge impact on the build quality of the rod.
- Quality and performance that isn’t affected by time.
- It might be a bit heavy if you are used to ultralightweight rods.
- The sensitivity isn’t as great as some other rods.
Shimano Clarus Casting Rod is one of the finest baitcasting rods from Shimano. It delivers great performance whenever you use it.
It is balanced, durable, and fits well in your hand. Give it a shot if you like quality and performance packed in a single rod.
St Croix Triumph Casting Rod
We love St. Croix rods and the St. Croix Triumph is no exception to that rule. No matter what fishing technique you use, it will not disappoint you.
The rod is built with SCII graphite. It lays out a solid foundation for an advanced fishing rod. It makes the rod lightweight, strong, and durable. The Sea Guide reel seats with sandblasted hoods and aluminum-oxide guides enhance longevity.
We tested the 4-piece 6’6″ medium-heavy, fast-action rod in different fishing conditions. We paired it with Shimano and Abu Garcia reels and used braid, fluoro, and mono of different test strengths.
The fast action makes it easy to cast long distances and place lures with accuracy. We feel the rod has enough power to fight large fish. We were able to catch bass, catfish, and pike. The largest one we caught was a 10 lbs catfish.
Overall the rod held up well during our tests. It has enough backbone to fish even big fish. Yet it is quite sensitive and allows you to detect even subtle changes at the bottom.
- These rods come with a high 5-year warranty.
- Premium quality handles for comfortable grip.
- The fast action increases the casting distance and accuracy.
- ECS/ TCS reel seats improve the durability of the rod.
- The rod might break under a lot of pressure.
St Croix Triumph is a versatile rod that you can use in different fishing conditions. It can handle a variety of lures and fish species.
The rod offers excellent action, power, and sensitivity. It is a great pick if you are looking for a high-performance rod with the excellent build quality. It will improve your fishing experience at a staggering scale.
UglyStik Elite Casting Rod
UglyStik Elite is amongst the most affordable baitcasting rods out there. The strong construction material is strong and a little more rugged as compared to other rods. So this rod is dependable, sturdy, and versatile for use in different conditions. The one-piece stainless steel guides eliminate the need for insert pop-outs and improve durability.
Another great feature of this rod is the durability of its tips. The tip of any rod is usually most susceptible to damage. So the strong tips make this fishing rod reliable.
We tested the 7 feet ultralight 2pc rod for our review. We took it out for trout fishing on Lake Almanor. The lake had cool clear water and we planned to fish from a boat. So we paired our rod with a Daiwa baitcaster and a 10 lbs fluorocarbon line.
This setup allowed us to use a large variety of baits and lures weighing between 1 /4 and 1/32 oz. We feel the ultralight power is perfect for fighting small fish. We caught our limit and a couple of trout were up to 5 lbs. The rod held up well without any signs of wear or damage during our trip.
- One of the most affordable baitcasting rods out there.
- Ultralight fast action helps with smooth casting and retrieval.
- The tip is more sensitive to allow a better response.
- You can use a wide variety of baits and lures with this rod.
- Some users feel the handle is not strong enough.
UglyStik Elite offers excellent performance along with durability. The extra-fast tip allows you to cast long distances with utmost accuracy.
The ultralight rod is great for casting small lures and catching small fish. It is ideal for trout fishing in freshwater lakes, rivers, or ponds. But you can land any fish you can set your eyes at.
Ardent Tournament Pro Series Rods
Ardent Tournament Pro Series offers a high-end baitcasting rod at an affordable price point.
It is built with IM-7 graphite to give it the strength and power for catching large fish species such as bass, pike, and musky. The rod comes with stainless steel line guides and a super-sensitive tip to help you feel the bite. The golf-style split grip makes the rod comfortable to use all day long.
We tested the 7′ 0″ heavy rod for catching Colorado River stripers. We paired the rod with a high-speed Tatula 200 reel and a braided main line with a fluorocarbon leader. It is a great setup for throwing swimbaits and glide baits.
The rod has a fast enough tip to cast serious distance. There is plenty of backbone to set the hook while the tip is soft enough that the bait does not get ripped out. We were able to catch striped bass ranging from 3 to 8 lbs with some larger ones over 10 lbs.
- The rod offers quality, power, and sensitivity at the same time.
- Great for casting larger lures such as swimbaits and crankbaits.
- It comes at a very affordable and attractive price.
- It sports a sleek, finished, modern look.
- It’s not great for swimbaits larger than 3/4 oz or 5 inches.
Ardent Tournament Pro is one of the favorites among tournament anglers. But the price and ease of use make it suitable for anglers of all skill levels.
The build quality, sensitivity, and power appeal to every angler in some way or the other. Its versatility allows you to catch a variety of large fish species in freshwater. It is perfect for you if you are looking for a rod to cast heavy lures such as spinnerbaits and swimbaits.
Daiwa Laguna Casting Rod
Daiwa is a household name when it comes to fishing gear. Its wide array of baitcasting rods makes it difficult to choose from the range.
Daiwa Laguna is a 7’ medium-heavy 1-piece rod. It is built with IM-6 graphite with woven carbon construction. It makes the rod lightweight and sturdy yet flexible. You can use all kinds of different lures that you can hook to the rod. But casting larger lures may be a bit challenging.
We took out the rod to Raritan Bay to test it for our review. We paired it with a Kastking 7.2:1 baitcasting reel to fish for fluke, trout, and bass. This setup is perfect for throwing 1/2 to 3/4 oz bucktail jigs in less than 30′ deep water.
The balance and construction feel as good as the premium rods over the 100-dollar mark. The lightweight frame makes it easy to maneuver the rod. The split foam grips make the rod comfortable.
- This rod is comfortable to hold and easy to use.
- The flexibility of this rod is superior to lots of other rods.
- It can cast small baits and plastic lures with finesse.
- Sometimes the rod tip and guides may go off-center.
Daiwa Laguna is a great rod due to its affordability, durability, and versatility. It is suitable for catching reds, trout, summer flounder, and bass using small to medium size lures. You can use it in a variety of fishing environments such as rivers, lakes, and ponds.
How We Reviewed the Baitcasting Rods Under 100
We tested the rods in different fishing conditions to find out their real-life performance. Our testing approach was as follows.
- We selected various fishing locations including lakes, rivers, streams, inshore, and offshore areas. We noted the conditions such as water clarity and weather.
- We paired the rods with baitcasting reels from Shimano, Abu Garcia, and Kasting. We used braid and fluoro/ mono lines of different tests. We chose the reel and line as per the fishing conditions.
- We used the setup to target a variety of fish species such as bass, catfish, and trout. We recorded the weight of each fish we caught. We also noted the sensitivity, power, and casting ability of the rod.
- After field testing, we analyzed the performance of the rods as per the fishing conditions.
- We also checked the feedback from actual customers who have used the rod. This allowed us to combine our observations with real-life user experience.
- Finally, we selected an overall winner based on the strengths, and weaknesses of each rod.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions about our reviews or testing approach.
Differences Between Spinning Rod vs. Baitcasting Rod
Fishing rods cater to all kinds of anglers these days. From the people who like to fish in style to the people who like comfort, every angler has their own way of fishing.
And the good news? The wide variety of fishing rods available today makes it very easy to fish at your convenience.
Anglers have always had trouble deciding whether it is better to use spinning rods or baitcasting rods. Most modern baitcasting rods are better than spinning rods. But, you must see which one better suits your fishing style.
So what makes Baitcasting rods so popular? Well for starters they complement the anglers well when it comes to casting distance and control on hook and line.
If you are up for casting lures up to long distances, know that nothing else will work better than a baitcasting rod. Baitcasting rods come with many technical advancements over spinning rods. In comparison, you’ll never experience backlash while working with a spinning rod.
Baitcasting rods are famous for their easy-to-use mechanics and sensitivity. A good Baitcasting rod will ensure great casting distance. It will balance strength as well as sensitivity at the same time. Sleek fast-action Baitcasting rods are great if you want to have a gratifying fishing trip.
How to Pick a Baitcasting Rod Under 100 Dollars
It is always a good idea to go fishing on a particularly lazy Sunday. Pair that with the Baitcasting technique and you have the perfect recipe for catching your ideal fish.
Baitcasting isn’t another ordinary fishing technique though. Appropriate fishing rods are as important as your decision to go for Baitcasting.
Fortunately, there are so many Baitcasting rods available on the market that you’ll never run out of choices.
Be sure to compare your selected rods with the budget you have in mind as well as the features that you think might be ideal for you. What is your preference for rod length? Do you focus more on reel seats or cork handles? Ease or Action? Consider your answers carefully and before you know it you’ll have your ideal Baitcasting rod.
Fishing is all about having a great time while doing something productive. So don’t forget to enjoy your Baitcasting experience.
We hope you like our pick of the Best Baitcasting Rods Under 100. If you have any follow-up questions then please feel free to contact us. We are happy to answer all the queries that we get.
If you would like to recommend a baitcasting rod, then let us know via the comments section. We will try to include it in our next update.
Last Updated on January 25, 2023 by Jacob Wheeler.